Colombian Pinto sacked from coaching the Emirates national team after only 5 months
The UAE Football Association on Monday sacked Colombian national coach Luis Pinto from his post 5 months after his appointment and before the resumption of the joint qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar and the 2023 Asian Cup in China.
“After lengthy meetings with coach Pinto, we agreed on the difficulty of continuing the contractual relationship between us (until 2022) and we decided to terminate the contract,” the head of the Emirati teams committee, Youssef Hussain, said in a press conference. Hussain revealed that “the alternative coach will be announced soon, and it will be among the three names to be compared to those who have previously worked in the UAE league.”
For his part, Pinto, 67, said: “It was difficult to complete my mission with the UAE national team due to several circumstances, including a difference in viewpoints, and the difficulty of working and building a strong team in light of the outbreak of the Corona virus.”
He added, “I had big dreams of reaching the World Cup with the Emirates, and I hope that they will achieve that with another coach.”
And Pinto was appointed coach of the UAE national team in late June, in place of Serbian Ivan Jovanovic, whose contract was also terminated in April after 4 months of his appointment in the midst of the suspension of sports activities due to the outbreak of the new Corona virus. Pinto fought with the Emirates national team 3 friendly matches, losing to Uzbekistan 1-2 and Bahrain 1-3, and defeating Tajikistan with difficulty 3-2 after he was late with two clean goals, which hastened the decision to terminate his contract.